Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Los Angeles Tai Chi Story

How Tai Chi Helped Me Get In to College

The essay that is included below was sent to the University of California at Los Angeles, University of California at Berkeley, and the University of California at San Diego as part of my admissions package.



I am proud to say that I have been accepted to all three. I'm not sure if this essay was what put me over the top, but I like to think it helped.

Enjoy!


My Tai Chi Practice

What I Have Gained by Learning Tai Chi in Los Angeles with the TCSociety

Tai chi is a very important part of my life. Since the age of fifteen, I have been practicing and studying this ancient martial art form.


I have practiced many individual movements's including all of their sequences and studied its histories evolution to present day. Beyond practicing, I have started to lead the beginner classes for the past year.


My ability to lead a class has been one of my most cherished accomplishments. Moreover, my progress as a student instructor has influenced who I am as a practitioner, a leader, and as a college student.


I have gained a greater mental focus, discipline, and health awareness from the years and effort I have dedicated to tai chi. Sharing those benefits with others gives me a sense of pride and triumph.

For example, when one of the students is struggling due to injury, it gives me pleasure to inform them and instruct them with different exercises geared towards helping the student regain mobility.

Similarly, when a student completes an entire sequence correctly, I feel I have helped pass on a gift that they will value for the rest of their life. Practicing and teaching tai chi's benefits allows me to share my passion for this art form, by helping others experience the same satisfaction I have gained through its practice.

Sharing Tai Chi in Los Angeles

When I Give I Get So Much More In Return

Although I have been practicing tai chi for many years, leading

a class has made me a better practitioner of the art. Leading and instructing a class has helped me to refine my own technique and improve my communication skills.

When leading a class, I must impart the same principles to students who have various learning styles and skill levels. In so doing, I am forced to sharpen my skills and keep my presentation flexible and adaptable.


Teaching tai chi has been a particularly transformative experience for me not only as a practitioner, but also as a college student. Despite an unsuccessful semester of a mixture of classes and thirty plus hours of a paying job, while volunteering last fall, it was my teaching that sparked a change in my life.

Teaching tai chi helped me maintain a balance, while increasing my focus and enthusiasm for my studies. As I became more efficient, I was able to maintain my work schedule and increase my class load to 20 units and gain a 3.8 GPA. Now, I feel I am able to better apply myself in school, have an unsurpassed determination, all while feeling calm and balanced. Lastly, leading classes has improved me as a practitioner, allowing me to be a superior leader and a better student.

Los Angeles Tai Chi Videos

WatchTC Hou Give Short Explanations

My teacher, and Los Angeles Tai Chi master, TC Hou gives some quick video demonstrations of fundamental Tai Chi Chuan concepts.

Follow this Links to watch the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfeEKgGA9jU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm7AL0RjHxI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ntp2waXrS8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VU1phImIqw

Los Angeles Tai Chi Resources

Some Links Around the Web You Might Find Useful

Los Angels Tai Chi Classes

The TCSociety is my where I practice and teach Tai Chi.

My Profile at TCSociety

You can find out a little more about me on my profile page at tcsociety.com.

History of Tai Chi

This is a good article on the history of Tai Chi. It also mentions the Old Yang Style practiced by TC Hou and the TCSociety.
You may also find these Links useful for discovering what is Tai Chi:


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Dorian! Your essay has definitely helped to project all the attributes a university would like to expect in a student, and you have a concrete proof to attest to your claims.

    ReplyDelete